Saturday, October 4, 2008

Is Competition Good

Here is another question.  Do you think a major international conglomerate like Veolia should have a monopoly and protection against local competition?  That is effectively what the Colorado Public Utilities Commission (PUC) is charged to provide.   PUC regulations support limited competition and monopolies when such models are deemed good for the public.  Generally, and in small private organizations with slim margins, I believe regulation is good for the public because it protects the business from failure and ensures quality service to the public.  However with Veolia on the scene, I think the game has changed.  What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think any business that can contribute to the local economy through jobs, revenue into the community, etc., will have a positive impact on our region. I hope people support your PUC request for a LOCAL, environmentally aware company to enter the playing field!

Anonymous said...

Competition, in any area, is very good for me as a consumer. I would not want to have only one grocery store to purchase my food from, nor would I want only one gas station to purchase gas from. Pricing wars can be of benefit to consumers. There is enough business for several business options to be available.

Bob R. said...

There is no doubt that competition makes sense for the benefit of all. Competition drives dependability, innovation, price, and success. Shamrock (Veolia) is a prime example of what happens to a business with no competition: it deteriorates.

I used Shamrock for years taking the shuttle from Longmont to Stapleton and then DIA for my business travels. I enjoyed the ride, felt Shamrock charged a fair price, and could count on a ride home late. I remember flying into Stapleton very late after a long week in Omaha; however, Shamrock was there ready to give me a ride home.

I no longer use Shamrock. I’ll be flying out of DIA in February and my wife and I plan to drive and park off-site. We didn’t even consider taking the shuttle.

No competition is the predominant factor in Veolia’s disappointing result. Its shuttle is no longer affordable even after gas prices have plummeted. I can no longer count on its service (will it be there waiting for me at DIA if I arrive late), and its ride is extremely uncomfortable.

The PUC needs to approve Green Ride Colorado for mass transportation to and from Northern Colorado and DIA. The public needs it and the environment needs it.

Warm Regards,
Bob Reece